Skip to main content

VIPKid is Growing

This year, my husband and I moved across Texas in late August. As most teachers started their year teaching procedures and expectations, I was unpacking boxes in our home. I was not prepared to come into the school year a few weeks late, and hope for a smooth year. I decided the classroom would be put on pause, and I would enter the world of online teaching.

There are many options for online teaching, cyber schools, K-12, charter schools, and the newest craze in China, online English classes. I chose the latter for its complete flexibility for scheduling, and was hired with a company called VIPKid.


I was excited to be enrolled in ESL509 at the same time. Although I have little freedom in the content I teach, learning about new tools and resources is always beneficial.

One of the Google Alerts that I signed up for was VIPKid, as I have been very interested in their business model. If you have social media, then there is a chance you've seen an ad for VIPKid. In the comments, there are TONS of people saying, "I teach with VIPKid and I love it. Life is amazing...blah blah blah." Why is this? If you "recruit" a teacher, then you get $100 bonus. So, of course employees are going to brag about it, so that you click their link. Well played VIPKid.

VIPKid has been hiring constantly for the past 6 years. The company goal is to reach 3 million students by 2020. At that point, the company will become profitable. In the mean time, VIPKid Is Seeking $500 Million at $6 Billion Valuation. Even though I am ready to return to the classroom next school year, I will be excited to watch this company grow in the coming years. For the most part, they take care of their teachers, and the students really are fantastic.


Comments

  1. Hello!

    You are absolutely correct about these VIPKid advertisements populating everywhere especially on LinkedIn. I thought about working for them as well as, but what deterred me from applying is their low monetary compensation. As educators, I believe we have one of the most challenging and rewarding jobs; however, we are not fairly compensated. I actually sent a correspondence reflecting my view to VIPKid who never responded. I feel if they would increase their pay, they could perhaps attract more seasoned teachers.

    On the positive side, teachers do not have to necessarily prep the content as it's already created for them. Perhaps this may be the reason for the low compensation. It could be a great opportunity for teachers seeking to supplement their income or for stay at home moms (teachers taking a break to raise their kids).

    Sorry if I come across as being Negative Nelly..... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, and it is definitely not negative. I am making about half of my Texas teaching salary with VIPKid. I agree that it is low, but there is very little effort needed outside of the work hours. It is not sustainable for me, and I could not live on this paycheck alone, but I was able to do this because of my husband's job. I will be back in the classroom next year.

      It is perfect for supplemental income over the holidays and summer vacation!

      Delete

Post a Comment